Kim Kardashian's kitten Mercy has died. Less than three months after receiving the tiny white ball of fluff as a gift from boyfriend Kanye West, she took to her website to announce the sad news.
In a posting that appeared on Friday, the reality star also revealed that 4-month-old Mercy, who had not made an appearance on her heavily updated Instagram account since Nov. 10, was given away to a family friend in October, after she found out she was allergic to cats:
"When I first got Mercy, I had never lived with a cat before and so I had no idea that I was allergic. I thought that it might pass, but after a few weeks I decided to go visit two separate allergists, one of whom said my allergies wouldn’t get any better unless I started taking injections. I had fallen SO in love with Mercy that I wanted to try everything I could to keep her, but I didn’t think it was safe to resort to injections, and it wasn’t fair on Mercy, because I couldn’t play with her or give her as much attention as I wanted to. Mercy deserved a mom who could really give her the time and affection she deserved. I knew that Sydney, Khloe’s assistant, who had recently lost a cat she had loved and cared for for 17 years, would be the perfect mom for Mercy and Sydney was so excited to have Mercy as her own!"
According to E! News, Mercy fell ill on Nov. 26, and a trip to the vet revealed that she suffered from a "(stomach) cancer-like virus often associated with breeding." After learning that even aggressive treatment wouldn't help, her new owner's made the difficult decision to have her euthanized.
The last shot of Mercy posted to Kardashian's Instagram account on Nov. 10
Kardashian writes, "Mercy was a gentle and loving kitten and we are all going to miss her so much. Thanks to Sydney for making Mercy’s short life one filled with love. RIP Mercy Xo"